Scheduling Information for Incoming Grade 9 Students at CHS 2021-2022
Student & Parent Curriculum and Scheduling Presentations
- 8th Grade Curriculum Night Overview
- 8th Grade Curriculum Night Program of Studies
- 8th Grade Curriculum Night Scheduling
- 8th Grade Curriculum Night Electives
- This document contains all of the available courses. Included in the document are course descriptions, prerequisites, and grade level limitations. This document also contains an overview of our policies regarding grading and schedule changes.
- Students may view short video commercials that provide additional information regarding our available electives for grade 9 students.
- Overview of the courses and credits required for graduation
- Information regarding virtual courses and policies.
Instructions for Selecting Electives in the Parent Portal (Portal Opens on February 17)
February 2- February 13
CMS Faculty make course recommendations in Genesis. Please speak with your CMS teachers regarding course recommendations prior to 2/13 if you have questions.
Parent Portal open for CMS students to select electives. Parents and students will be able to view teacher recommendations and select electives for next year. Instructions for selecting electives are linked here. Please note that course requests for next year are not final during this open selection period. If you need to make changes to your requests, students will have a meeting with a CHS counselor to finalize requests.
February 25, 26 March 1,2
CHS counselors will meet with grade 8 students to finalize schedule requests for students during PE classes. Grade 8 students who are virtual will be scheduled for a Google Meet with a CHS counselor. These meetings for the virtual students will be on our near these dates and will occur before the high school starts scheduling courses.
During these meetings, counselors will confirm the recommendations and course requests for core academic courses as well as elective requests. Students recommended for honors-level courses may inform the counselor at this meeting that they wish to take a level A instead of a recommended honors level. Requests to move up a level will require the completion of a waiver form. Information regarding waivers is below.
April 1 - 30
- CHS begins the scheduling process.
- Course requests changes will not be processed at this time
May 1- 31
- CHS counselors will review student schedules to check for accuracy and conflicts regarding elective requests. All students will be scheduled for the core academic courses that they requested.
- If a requested elective does not work in a student's schedule, the counselor will select one of the alternatives that the students provided in the portal or during the scheduling meeting.
- CHS counselors will reach out to students and parents if decisions regarding electives need to be made.
Schedules will be available in the portal in June. Counselor assignments will be published on the schedule. If you have questions or changes to request you can reach out to your assigned counselor. Schedule changes are dependent upon the availability of open seats.
It is recommended to follow the recommendations made by your teachers. These recommendations are made with the knowledge of the student as well as the requirements of the CHS courses. If a student decides to waive into a higher level a parent must complete a waiver request form for the department that the course is assigned to. Department supervisors are available to discuss course levels. Supervisor Contact Information Can Be Found Here.
- A student who waives into a course must remain in that course for the first half of semester 1. The ability to drop to a lower level is dependent upon the availability of open seats. The grade that the student earned in the higher-level course follows the student to the new course.
- Waiver forms must be completed for all courses you are requesting a waiver in. The waiver forms close on March 19 at the end of the school day.
- A second waiver window will open from May 20 - May 27 This is after the master schedule has been built. Waivers will be subject to the availability of open seats during this window.
Course Waiver Windows
March 12 - March 19 - Waiver window #1
May 20 - May 27- Waiver window #2
Waiver Request Submission Forms
Summer Waivers:Over the summer we will accept requests for course waivers. These requests will be considered based on the following requirements:1. There is a rationale for the decision to waive. For example, the student completed a summer course that prepared him/her for the course requesting a waiver. There is an extenuating circumstance regarding why a waiver should be considered.2. There are open seats in the course that the student is requesting a waiver for. Waivers will not be processed until the third week of August. Students will remain on a waitlist until that time.A form to request a course waiver over the summer will be made available at the conclusion of the school year