Scheduling Information for 2023-2024
- This document contains all of the available courses. Included in the document are course descriptions, prerequisites, and grade-level limitations. This document also contains an overview of our policies regarding grading and schedule changes.
Grade 8 to 9 Curriculum Presentation Slides
Grade 8 to 9 Curriculum Presentation Video
How To Make Elective Course Requests in the Genesis Parent Portal
Courses that meet the 21st Century or Visual & Performing Arts Graduation Requirement
Virtual Course Options (Educere)
January 10 - 27
Teachers will discuss with students the courses which are available for students next year. Teachers will discuss the course recommendation process and the requirements and expectations for each course.
January 17 - February 3
After discussing the available courses for next year, teachers will communicate student course recommendations for next year. Teachers will publish these recommendations in Genesis.
February 2 & 3
CHS administration presents scheduling information to grade 8 students at CMS.
February 3 - 12
Parents/Students view recommendations and select electives in the Genesis Parent Portal. Please read the linked document to learn how to select electives in the portal. These selections will be finalized during a planned student/counselor scheduling meeting. Changes may be made during the meeting. Therefore, selections in the portal are not final selections. If you need to make changes or miss this window, you should attend your scheduled meeting with your selections.
February 13 - March 10
Counselor / Student Scheduling Meetings
All students will meet with their counselors. The purpose of this meeting is to finalize course requests for next year. The counselor and student will review teacher recommendations and any electives that the student selected in the Genesis Parent Portal. Students should attend this meeting, having reviewed all teacher recommendations and selected additional electives in the portal. At the conclusion of the meeting, each student will have a finalized list of course requests. Counselors will share with their students their assigned scheduling meeting date and time.
Class of 2024 - 2/13 - 2/17
Class of 2025 - 2/27 - 3/3
Class of 2026 - 3/6 - 3/10
Class of 2027 - 2/15 - 2/16 (CHS counselors meet with current grade 8 students at CMS during PE classes to finalize schedule requests).
March 13 - April 28
- CHS begins the scheduling process.
- Course requests changes will not be processed at this time.
May 1- 31
- CHS counselors will review student schedules to check for accuracy and conflicts regarding elective requests. All students will be scheduled for the core academic courses that they requested.
- CHS counselors will reach out to students and parents if decisions regarding course electives need to be made.
Schedules will be available on the portal in June. If you have questions or changes to request, you can reach out to your assigned counselor. Schedule changes are dependent upon the availability of open seats. If a course is full, the student will be added to a waitlist. The counselors will review the waitlist throughout the summer to check for open seats as a result of schedule changes.
June 2 - (Seniors) Deadline for lab assistant request forms (see your counselor for required forms prior to this date)
It is recommended to follow the recommendations made by your teachers. These recommendations are made with the knowledge of the student as well as the requirements of the CHS courses. If a student decides to waive into a higher-level course, a parent must complete a waiver request form for the department the course is assigned to. Department supervisors are available to discuss course levels. Supervisor Contact Information Can Be Found Here.
- A student who waives into a course must remain in that course for the first half of semester 1. The ability to drop to a lower level is dependent upon the availability of open seats. The grade that the student earned in the higher-level course follows the student to the new course.
- Waiver forms must be completed for all courses you are requesting a waiver for. The waiver forms close on March 17 at the end of the school day.
- A second waiver window will open from May 16 - May 20. This is after the master schedule has been built. Waivers will be subject to the availability of open seats during this window.
Course Waiver Windows
March 10 - March 17 - Waiver window #1
May 16 - May 20 - Waiver window #2
Waiver Request Submission Forms
Summer Waivers:Over the summer, we will accept requests for course waivers. These requests will be considered based on the following requirements:1. There is a rationale for the decision to waive. For example, the student completed a summer course that prepared him/her for the course requesting a waiver. There is an extenuating circumstance regarding why a waiver should be considered.2. There are open seats in the course that the student is requesting a waiver for. Waivers will not be processed until the third week of August. Students will remain on a waitlist until that time.A form to request a course waiver over the summer will be made available at the conclusion of the school year