Welcome to Sports Journalism! Below, you will find some basic information about this course.In this class, we will...
explore the role that sports plays in our culture
read and listen to professional sports journalists
study how they tell the stories of the games and the athletes
explore how journalists give play-by-play and color commentary in newspaper articles, on the radio, and on television
examine how journalists research and compose feature articles that highlight a particular athlete, a coach, or an issue
apply what has been learned and write or deliver original reports on local or national games or sporting events.
Unit 1: The Role of Sports in Society
- How do sports play a significant role in our society?
- How do sports bring people together?
- How can an outcome in a sporting event extend beyond the score on a scoreboard?
Unit 2: The 5 W's and How of Sports New: How a sports writer/broadcaster tells the story of a game.
- How has sports journalism changed over time?
- How does sports reporting differ when using audio, visual and written forms?
- Does sports reporting differ when covering different types of sports?
- What are the necessary elements of a good sports report?
- How are sports reports similar to narrative stories?
- What types of sports reports are different from narratives?
- What are the characteristics of a strong sports broadcaster?
Unit 3 : Play by Play Announcing
- What are the qualities/characteristics of a strong sports announcer?
- How can you capture moment to moment action in a way that tells a story to both viewers and listeners?
- How does sports reporting differ when using audio, visual, or written forms?
- How can I self reflect when listening to my own podcast?
Unit 4: Sports Blogging
- How does blog writing differ from more formal types of writing?
- How can you effectively express your own thoughts and ideas while listening to, understanding, and respectfully responding to the thoughts and ideas of others?
Unit 5: Creating a Sports News Show
- What qualities are needed to be an effective sports broadcaster?
- What are the features of a sports news broadcast and how does it differ from regular news broadcasts?
- How can technology be used to enhance a written broadcast script?
- How can you effectively integrate/utilize support and suggestions from peers and group members?
Homework: This class is designed so that our study and investigation of sports journalism will occur during our class time. Most work will be completed within the time of a class period each day. Students may decide to work on projects from home, if we feel more time is needed.