Four Year College Planning Guide from New Jersey Higher Education Student Assistance Authority (HESAA)Freshman YearSemester 1
- Attend the grade level meeting and LINKS sessions on the first day of school. Have questions ready for the LINKS leaders.
- Meet with your counselor in small groups during a scheduled lunch session during the first week of school.
- Access your account on Naviance Student during a grade 9 health class. This session will introduce students to Naviance Student. Topics will include the resume builder, learning style inventory, and general navigation of the system. Parents will also receive an email with login information.
- Attend the activities fair and consider getting involved in co-curricular activities. Keep a record of your activities in your resume in Naviance.
- Find out when your teachers are available for academic assistance.
- Check the CHS website for National Honor Society tutoring options.
- Meet with your counselor for a freshman conference during 2nd marking period. These conferences are parent, student and counselor meetings. Scheduling will be available in the parent portal. Parents will be asked to complete a survey regarding their grade 9 student prior to the conference with their counselor.
- Develop good study habits and consider your plan for your courses throughout high school.
- Review the program of studies to learn about course options at CHS.
- Meet with your teachers to discuss course level recommendations for next year.
- Review the elective video commercials. 21st Century, Visual and Performing Arts.
- Select your elective choices on the parent portal.
- Meet with your counselor to finalize your schedule for next year. Consider graduation requirements and NCAA eligibility if you are considering playing a sport in college.
- Take the NJSLA assessment.
- Participate in volunteer activities & consider summer opportunities.
- Inquire about summer assignments for your courses next year.